Is Mayo Furniture Good Quality?
Is Mayo Furniture in Texarkana, TX good quality? They advertise the use of 8-gauge sinuous springs, chambered back cushions, and coil springs in the seat cushions that carry a lifetime warranty. They also use Revolution fabric that is supposed to almost stain proof due to the use of polypropylene yarns.
CHAMBERED INNER BAGS BACK CUSHIONS ARE FILLED WITH POLYESTER FIBER THAT IS BLOWN CAREFULLY INTO A DUAL-CHAMBERED BAG TO PREVENT FIBER FROM SETTLING.
Slightly above average for this price range.SEAT CUSHIONS
- If Mayo does offer a Spring Down or Spring Fiber or Spring Blend (50/50 Down/feathers and fiber) cushion option, you should definitely get it.
- Good quality coil spring cushions will double the sofa's lifespan and comfort compared with their standard foam/fiber cushions.
CUSHIONS ARE CRAFTED WITH MULTIPLE LAYERS OF PADDING TO ENSURE THE MOST COMFORTABLE SEATING. WE START WITH HIGH-DENSITY FOAM AND ENCLOSE WITH SOFTER FOAM AND POLYESTER FIBER FOR ADDITIONAL COMFORT.
Mayo's standard foam/fiber seat cushions are below average.
The term "high density foam" without a number indicates that they are probably using industry standard 1.8 density foam. A polyester fiber wrapping is standard.
- What is more worrying is that they also use "softer foam." This probably indicates a density of less than 1.8.
- It is also possible to use a "softer", and more expensive, memory gel foam, that actually has a higher density. But if that was the case, it would be specifically mentioned in the specifications.)
Several sofa manufacturers in this price range have recently (in the past 1 - 2 years) started using multi-layer foam cores. These have 1.2 density foam layers above and below a denser central foam core.
- Most of the cushions made this way are using denser foams for the central core (usually 2.0 or 2.5) but without any number being provided, Mayo is probably using 1.8.
A cushion made with a 5 inch thick core of 1.8 density foam will last an average of only 5 years with average use before losing its shape, resilience and comfort.
- If the core includes foam layers with a lower density, the lifespan may be even shorter. (A cushion with a 5" thick foam core will typically measure 8" in overall thickness after the fiber and fabric cover are added.)
The new composite multi-layer foam cushions, using 1.2 density foam layers have not been around long enough to know how long they can be expected to hold up before needing replacement. My strong suspicion is that the new composite cushions will not last as long.ARM TOPS
ROUNDED ARM TOPS BUILT FROM DURABLE POLYURETHANE ARE CUT TO RETAIN PERFECT SHAPE OVER TIME, AND ARE REINFORCED FOR COMFORT THE SAME WAY THE SEAT CUSHIONS ARE - WITH ADDED FOAM AND FIBER TO ENSURE MAXIMUM LUXURY.
SEATING SYSTEMS ARE SUPPORTED BY 8 GAUGE SINUOUS SPRINGS SET APART AT AN IDEAL SPACING TO ENSURE A RELAXING AND ENJOYABLE SEATING EXPERIENCE. SPRINGS ARE TIED TOGETHER TO MAINTAIN EQUAL AND EVEN SUPPORT THROUGHOUT THE SEAT.
This is one of the cheapest possible seat support systems, but should still last for 20 years when used with hardwood plywood frames (like those used by Mayo.)
- Sinuous wire foundations, when used with cheaper "engineered" wood frames, made with chipcore or particleboard, may not last that long, since engineered wood can break under pressure or above average weight and the engineered wood does not hold staples as well.
FRAMES ARE BUILT USING THE TIME-TESTED MORTISE-AND-TENON JOINING SYSTEM AND REINFORCED USING HARDWOOD AND INTERIOR STRETCHER SYSTEMS FOR A STURDY, LONG-LASTING FOUNDATION.
Standard plywood frame construction. It should last at least 10 years.
- The specs do not state how thick the plywood is (or how many plys are used.) The standard thickness for furniture frames in this price range is 3/4".
- More expensive furniture, designed to last longer than 10 years, usually has plywood that is at least 7/8" thick.
- Most stains can be removed with mild detergent. Stubborn stains can be removed using bleach.
- Revolution fabrics tend to have a rougher texture and fewer bright colors than more expensive "high performance" brands such as Crypton, Sunbrella and Bella-Dura.